Caryn's Knits

Monday, November 21, 2011

Socks, Socks and more Socks!

It seems like all I've done recently is socks. I spent a chunk of the summer and fall knitting socks, and I have 5 pairs to show for it, with another pair on the needles. It started back in March, when I got a lovely sock pattern and some Tanis Purple Label in the Tanis Year in Colour club. It was the first time in years that I'd really done a pair of socks.

And I loved knitting them, and I loved wearing them. I'd enjoyed knitting the Pomatomus socks, years ago, but I didn't find them very comfortable to wear. I've now discovered that the foot on those is about an inch to an inch and a half too long, and that's why they're just not comfy.

Since I liked the Marching On's so much, I immediately turned around and started Viper Pilots. Those were also a lot of fun to knit - complicated, twisty cable stitches are fun for me apparently. I used Shiny sock yarn from Indigodragonfly, since I thought the theme required something sparkly. *g*

Once those were finished, I started a simpler pair of Plain Ribbed socks in 3x1 rib, in beautiful self-striping yarn from Dye Hard Fibre Arts. They were great for knitting on a plane trip, since no pattern was needed once you were started (at least until you reach the heel). The yarn was great to work with, and the stripes were fun, but O.M.G they were dull. *g*

It was a good thing for my sanity that I was working on my Staked socks, in lovely MCN Sock from Indigodragonfly at the same time. Now, these I loved. Knitting with soft, smooshy MCN, in a nicely complicated pattern - heaven!

Once those were done, I started another pattern from the Tanis Year in Colour club - Aquarium socks, in the colourway of the same name.

These were also fun to do - the pattern was just interesting enough to keep me involved.

So, that's 5! pairs! of! socks! in the last 6 months or so. Ooh, plus I did a pair of toe-up 3x1 rib socks for Mike, in Astermann Step.

He'll probably be getting more of these, especially if I can find some nice, plainish, grey and/or black colourways.

Finally, my current pair on the needles:

Revivals, in Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock Lightweight. Love the pattern, love the yarn, but I'm still not convinced that they're good combination. The subtlety of the pattern is getting lost in the changing colours. I may, eventually, end up frogging these. If I do, I'll re-do the pattern in something more tonal, and use the yarn for a simpler pattern. Or, I may just keep them. *shrug*

I think I may actually start a sweater next...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home