Caryn's Knits

Friday, August 25, 2006

Decisions, Decisions

Once again, I'm stalled on a project.

I've been waffling back and forth on which size of the Eris to knit, ever since I started it. I've just hit the first row that's different between the two sizes.

So, do I knit the smaller size, with about 2.5 inches of ease, and definitely enough yarn?
Or do I knit the larger size, with 5 inches of ease (the preferred size, I think), but with only 5 metres of yarn to spare? This is the problem with buying yarn from a smallish company (it's Elann's house brand). If they don't have any more, there's nowhere else to go to get it. In the case, it's not even a dye lot issue - they just don't have any more of the color. I wouldn't have this problem if I'd either used a big brand name wool maker, or if I'd started knitting as soon as I got the wool, instead of waiting 8 months. I really don't want to get halfway through the second arm and run out of wool...

I'll probably run a lifeline where I am right now, and knit the smaller size. If it's just too small, I'll frog it back and knit the larger size. The smaller size may be big enough - I just don't know. This has to be the worst thing about knitting sweaters - you can't tell until after the work's done whether or not it's gonna fit!

The good news is, since I stalled on the Eris last night, I went back to the Soleil and put two rows of single crochet around one of the armholes. I tried it on again, and the gaping problem was solved! So I have the SC around the neckline done now, too, and I'll get the last armhole done tonight. Once it's blocked, that'll be something moved off the "in progress" list, and a pretty summer top for myself finished just in time for fall. *g*

I really should learn to trust the pattern and not panic until I'm actually done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home