Caryn's Knits

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

That was a little steep!

I've added the Pea Pod Baby Set to the "waiting in the wings" sidebar, since I managed to pick up some yarn for it finally.

I'm making it for my niece, and the one year size (she'll be 10 months at Christmas, so I figured 1 year was the way to go) calls for 7 balls of Debbie Bliss Cotton Cashmere. I've had trouble finding it - Mary's Yarns in Unionville didn't have it, Lettuce Knit didn't have it, and Knitomatic didn't have it. I have seen Debbie Bliss' Cahmerino, however, and that generally ran $9-$10 dollars per 50 grams ball. I figured the cotton and cashmere'd be a little cheaper than merino and cashmere, say $6 or $7 for a 50g ball, making a it a little expensive for a one year old, but not totally outrageous, right?

Hah!

I finally found some, down at Romni Wools. Their prices are generally pretty good, but... wait for it... the stuff was $15 a ball! Whoever wrote the pattern was expecting me to pay upwards of $100 on materials for a sweater for a one year old. Call me crazy, but I think that's just a little insane.

So I looked around the store for a bit, and I came up with this...


It's a very pretty, very soft 100% merino wool in a lovely purple shade, and cost me about $9 a ball, but I only needed 6 balls of it. That is much better. I love my niece, but I do have something of a practical side, too.

Of course, with my luck, she'll turn out to be allergic to wool...

1 Comments:

  • At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I ***LOVE*** Zara yarns. Zara, Zarina, Zara Plus ... they're all good! :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home